ok. ive been gone forever. im so sorry. A lot of things have happened, here is a few:
1. i got married (with like a big fancy dress and a reception and all that jazz. well, no jazz, but serbian music which is off the chizain)
2. I (we) bought a house in a fancy pants neighborhood. (ok, its not so fancy pants, but it is a real house, with like a roof and everything. and neighbors live like in a house next door, not above or below. so there, thats fancy)
ok so 2 things dont qualify as a lot but i said i was sorry, didn't i?
So! here i am and here is this super adorbs bread that will impress everyone you show it to. You can make it sweet or savory. I opted for the savory so i took out the lemon, vanilla and cut the sugar to scant 1/4 cup.
I made this with my bff cybelle, shes the photog and thats why the pics are so fancy. :)
- 1 pkg yeast
- 1/4 c warm water
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/2 c sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 c warm milk
-1 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 1/4 c flour
-1 tsp melted butter
-1 egg white, scrambled
- 6 colored eggs (raw)
1. Sprinkle yeast in warm water to dissolve.
2. Cream butter and beat in sugar, egg yolks and salt. Then stir in warm milk, lemon zest, vanilla and yeast mixture.
3. Add 2 cups of the flour and beat for 5 minutes.
4. Gradually beat in remaining flour, then place dough on floured board and knead.
5. Place dough in greased bowl and top with a little melted butter. Let rise 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then knead again.
6. Cut dough into 6 pieces and roll each piece into a rope.
7. Form 3 ropes into a braid (you will get two loaves).
8. Nestle colored raw eggs throughout each braid.
9. Brush top of loaves with egg whites.
10. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown.